Friday, January 11, 2013

Messages in Music

I came to an interesting realization while listening and flipping through my iPod. In orthodox Judaism non-Jewish music is not recommended because a lot of powerful influence can come from musical expression. Inappropriate lyrics aside, music has an uncanny ability to set your mood.

In Neve a very funny and clever rabbi, Rabbi Katz, went on a rant about the power of music and how that song on the radio, that reminded you of your ex, starts to play. You go, "aw," as you remember when you first heard that song. Then you smile and remember the good times you both had. Then you wonder what happened! That's when you remember how much of a jerk he was. Then, you get upset and angry. But just as the music brought you into this state of mind, it pulls you out and you go, "Oh! this was such a good song!" I remember when I first heard this song... "aw"... and the vicious cycle starts again. This is an example of the power of music.

While flipping through my music I wondered what moods and what messages I was subliminally subjecting myself to. What surprised me most was not the content or moods. Generally, I know what the messages of my punk-rock, post-hardcore music are and what profanity they potentially use. That is also precisely why I have been listening to more of my softer "let's change the world" reggae and upbeat and positive folk rock. But when I researched my newer, nicer music artists I was genuinely floored!

I had been listening to Christian rock the last few years. Apparently, the daddy issues these girls were screaming and singing about were were not what I was expecting. Y'know, like their paternal father... Instead, they had been singing and pleading with their father in heaven, Jesus. Then I reevaluated my beloved Bob Marley. "Get up stand don't give up the fight. Most people think that great gd will come from the sky... A mighty being is a living gd..." I whimpered, what about my dear old friend, Ben Harper? "The good lord is a good lord with such a good mother, too, and they have blessed me in the good graces of you. "

Oh boy...
Instead of listening to rough rebellious music I had traded it for uplifting, happy, inspiring..... Christian.... music.

Do I still listen to my friends Bob and Ben? You bet I do. However, I gave up some of their songs and a couple bands that were unavoidable. I also monitor my music more carefully. I don't intend to limit myself to only Jewish music (which I may in the future), nevertheless, I want to be cognizant of what messages I listen to and come to believe. We all know music has a strong power to unite and also to divide. But, I want to be aware of which of these messages I'm getting when it's the 6am train ride to the gym!

Music has an awe inspiring ability to help, motivate, aid, and even create whole communities. But I don't want to be mesmerized by something that essentially seeps into my unconscious. I love the mindfulness about becoming religious. No one or thing, including my music, can affect me without my consent! I wonder if everyone else took the moment to really look at what their listening to and really thought about how they felt after listening to it, would they would change it?

No comments:

Post a Comment