Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Getting Started

Settling into my Brooklyn apartment wasn't so time-consuming or challenging. In fact, I could make my home anywhere, as long as you give me a place to sleep and a few minutes to organize my thoughts. But, I have found it challenging to occupy my spare time. I plan on signing up at a pool to swim before class and brought a guitar to figure out after school. But with the weather being kind of muggy (warm, sticky, and grey) going for exploratory walks have been postponed. Even doing activities inside are beginning to become a drag with a new world lurking outside.

Otherwise, my optimism is running high. Yesterday classes began. I liked the morning Judaic courses, but I decided to switch into another level because I wanted more text based learning. Being BT (ba'al teshuva aka: becoming religious) I have managed to absorb all these high-level, high-thinking ideas and hashkafa (veiws), as well a slew of other religious concepts but skipped a lot of the basics. Most notably, chumash (Torah with commentary) and major works such as Derech Hashem ("The way of Gd") and Orchot Tzadikim ("Path of the Righteous"). So in the other level I'll find myself learning these works. I'm actually really excited to get started.

In the afternoon, we have college classes- this month a speech class, which has proven to be extremely interesting by infusing religious and secular studies, is being given. And after the Jewish holidays, we start out courses online. After getting the four-one-one on all the classes and leveling, I feel much more at ease... but speaking about class I got to run (I always leave time for getting lost- it proved helpful yesterday!).

No comments:

Post a Comment